Thursday, April 23, 2009

Things I never appreciated before I became a mother

It is truly the small things in life that make you smile or say "Grrrrr!".

Some of my "Grrr" moments since becoming a mom:
  • bathrooms with no changing tables............good thing Abbi has a small butt, and Kennedy is still small enough to be on my lap.
  • When a person parks just close enough to you in the parking lot that you can't get the door open wide enough to fit the babyseat in. Good times: this happened today.
  • When all of the "fun" shopping carts are taken. Melinda appreciates this more than anyone I am sure.
  • the cost of diapers......although I must say it is much better than the alternative. Bless my mother for doing cloth diapers. I was not made to be a pioneer or resourceful.
  • Family friendly isles: what is that? There is still candy there. The isle is just wider to your child has more room to escape from you.
  • Laundry and having to change my shirt three times a day
  • How my butt won't fit in my pre-kid pants
But, alas..........this is not meant to be negative. Just observations.

Things that can bring simple smile:
  • having an empty seat next to you on the airplane. Loved that on the way to Hawaii
  • the waiter at Bear's Tooth who gave Abigail grapes for free while we waited for our food.
  • Having someone hold the door open for you.
  • A smile from a stranger and the comment "I remember those days, I miss them." (I know I will too.)
  • Diaper Genie's at church
  • Sippy cups.........just became the proud owner of two Elmo sippys today
  • The comedy of being a mom.
Feel free to add yours. Happy Spring.

6 comments:

Kritta22 said...

You can't forget the simple things like plastic grocery bags. All the poopy diapers in our house get wrapped in one, and then thrown in the garbage.

I never thought about the bags before.

I'm grateful for M&M's for little rewards!

9 of Us said...

I love to watch my kids play with and love on each other. We will just forget the times when they fight.:)

Melinda H. said...

I love this post and I may have to do something similar. I have been stumped on anything to post.

I do feel the same on every single one of your comments...and I still feel the same about the shopping carts. It just peeves me!!

So you got some Elmo sippy cups? I betcha they get swapped still...Abbi will come for the Lightening McQueen and my guys will go for the Elmo! Too funny.

Loi said...

Okay - you've opened up a can of worms here....

I'm going to keep going on the changing table critique. Not only do several places have those small oval ones (okay-Steven outgrew those by 6 months), very few places offer a place to hang the diaper bag so that you can get to your stuff, while still being able to monitor the kid. Or they put the changing tables right in the entry way to the bathroom so that everyone has to work around you and see all of the glory hanging out.
Who designed these? Bachelor men?
There are a few bathrooms I've seen in airports that deserve some praises. A sitting area, a sink, a hook, a shelf, and a garbage all within reach of the extra wide changing table. What a welcome sight those places are!

I actually said something to the ER Walmart one time when Steven was out of his baby car seat, but too young to be completely stable in a shopping cart about how all of their carts with baby seats were always shoved in the back of the cart stack. Shortly thereafter I noticed they now have 2-3 of those carts up front and off to the side. I appreciated them listening.

Alright, I'll stop for now :-)

Dana said...

I totally agree on the changing room space in bathrooms. When the new convention center was being built I emailed the designers to consider a "nursing area" in the womens restroom- the Egan does not have one and its a pain to stand and nurse.

Nordstroms has it right with their womens restroom - couches.

Kudos to airports with family changing rooms!!!!

[Stacia] said...

Great post Bobbi- Too true!