Wednesday, August 24, 2011

What's that you say?

So those special few, who know all my flaws, know that I am terrible when it comes to song lyrics.  I always seem to hear something different that what is actually being sung.  My sister had endless laughs at my expense growing up because I would proudly be singing a song and I would get lots of weird looks........and then finally I would be corrected.
Two examples:
In the late 80's there was a song called "Mr. Wendell".  I proudly sang............."Mr. Rainbow"

Song by Tracy Chapman called;  "Give me one Reason to stay here, and I 'll turn right back around"
I thought is said "Give me one reason to steal and I will turn right back around".  This always confused me why she would turn back around after she stole something.

So, why I am confessing all of this.  I regret to inform you that I think I have passed on the gene.

Tonight I heard Abigail singing a song.
The right version: "Your love, your love, is my drug"

Abigail's version: "Chilla, Chilla, is my drum"

Big smile across my face!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This made me laugh! I think that's why we could listen to all of those 80's songs (and sing along) when the lyrics were so naughty!! I hear them now and I about die when I realize what the song was really about. Yikes!

Kritta22 said...

I do the same thing!!!!!

At least once a road trip, Chris will point out that I have a word or whole phrase wrong in a song! Most of the time it ends in me losing a bet and googling the song!

Susan said...

That is so funny- thanks for the laugh!! I think we all have gotten the lyrics wrong at one time or another- now I know it's actually a hereditary syndrome:)

Melinda H. said...

Hahaha!! I've always done the same thing...oh wait, Greg still is laughing at me and how I'm always wrong with lyrics or sayings.

The good thing about not knowing the right lyrics is that some of those naughty songs that Jill is talking about, we don't know what they mean until we are adults. Which I'm hoping will be the same for my kids. Let Abbi keep singing the wrong lyrics...it'll keep her young and naive for a long time :)

Cathie said...

Smile coming accross my face as well! I love it!